First an announcement: I've been reading Bird by Bird and I am cutting it from this month's book list. I think it is an excellent book but it's about writing fiction and I'm not trying to write fiction. If I ever get a the fiction bug I will definitely bring it back out.
So day one hasn't been that exciting. I have been reading "Are You Ready to Succeed" and part of what it's about is changing your perception of "reality". Basically Rao says that what we perceive as reality isn't real so why not make your reality enjoyable? Don't get hung up on whether this reality is "true" just suspend judgment and try it out.
I am trying it out on my job. I think my job is boring, like so boring that at multiple points during the day I don't think I can take it any longer and I have to fight to keep from talking my bag and walking out the door never to return. Soooo now instead of thinking "my job is too boring and mindless" I am going to think, "my job is boring, but it's also mindless enough that I can meditate while doing it. I sometimes get into a flow state and it feels pretty good. What other jobs give you the opportunity to meditate for 8 hours a day?!" I'll give you and update about how this changed thinking works tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment